It’s arguably the biggest week of the year for Stanford Athletics. Not only is it Big Game Week, but the basketball teams are finally playing games that count and several Cardinal squads are deep into their respective postseasons. Check out the following Stanford sports links during IHum (yeah, you know it sucks), lunch, or at some absurd hour of the morning when you should be finishing that end-of-quarter paper.
- Take a look at the Big Game Week Calendar to see what’s going on on the Farm this week.
- Women’s volleyball also takes on Cal this week, but will be playing for higher stakes than the football team will be. #2 Stanford faces #4 Cal for sole possession of first place in the PAC-10. Stanford also looks to avenge its loss to Cal earlier this season.
- 11 Cardinal football players, including Owen Marecic, Ryan Whalen, and Andrew Luck, made the PAC-10’s All-Academic First or Second Teams. And apparently Arizona State quarterback Steven Threet is a “General Studies” major. Does anyone know what that means?
- Once again, we have proof that no one other than Cal and Stanford fans understand that there’s no “the” before “Big Game.”
- Cal beat Stanford in the first ever Big Sweep, a quidditch match between the Bears and Card, on Sunday afternoon.
- We had the commitment a few weeks ago, but Illinois point guard Chasson Randle signed his letter of intent to play for Stanford next season on Tuesday.
- Women’s soccer will host PAC-10 rival UCLA in the third round (Sweet 16) of the NCAA tournament on Friday.
- Rule of Tree looks at some notable Cal football players.
- In easily the prettiest of the college sports, Stanford took care of Cal in The Big Sail for the sixth consecutive year. If you thought the view from AT&T Park was gorgeous, look at the shots from this event in the Bay, with the Golden Gate Bridge looking on.