The football season is just 7 days away. That means that today is the last non-football Saturday until the gap between the conference championship games and the bowl season in December. Rejoice, college football fans. In case you are extra anxious to get your fill of Stanford sports (and considering that you’re here reading this, we’re guessing that you are) we have a few tips for you:
- Stanford Football will hold an Open House at Stanford Stadium tomorrow starting at 1:00 PM. Stop by to chat with players and coaches and tour the Stanford locker room.
- Several Cardinal teams have already begun their seasons. Since it’s still summer and we have not yet begun our Morning Scores posts for the 2010-11 Stanford calendar, here are a few noteworthy outcomes from yesterday:
- Women’s Volleyball defeated Pepperdine 3-1. Stanford outdid Pepperdine in almost every statistical category, including a wide discrepancy between the teams’ hitting percentages (.322 to .157). Alix Klineman led the Card in kills (18).
- In a déjà vu matchup from last year’s national championship game, women’s soccer tied North Carolina 2-2 in Chapel Hill. The teams are currently ranked numbers 1 and 2 in the nation, with Carolina (the winner of last year’s match) earning the #1 spot.
- [Technically not from yesterday] Men’s soccer will travel to Air Force for an exhibition game against the Falcons today at 6:00 PM.
- Field hockey won at Pacific, 6-0.
- Stanford student and celebrity golf prodigy Michelle Wie led the Canadian Women’s Open at the time of this posting. Wie sunk a hole-in-one earlier in the tournament.